NOW:53209:USA01012
http://widgets.journalinteractive.com/cache/JIResponseCacher.ashx?duration=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.wp.myweather.net%2FeWxII%2F%3Fdata%3D*USA01012
64°
H 70° L 59°
Rain | 20MPH

North Shore Fire Department Urges North Shore Residents to "Stay Fire Smart! Don't Get Burned."

Oct. 3, 2009

Once a child touches a hot stove, as the cliché goes—he learns his lesson, stay away from a hot stove. This cliché does not take into account the pain and suffering from burns and burns should not be part of the learning process.

 

That’s why the North Shore Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) for Fire Prevention Month to urge North Shore residents to “Stay Fire Smart! Don’t Get Burned.”

 

Fire Prevention Week is observed October 04 - 10, 2009. However, the North Shore Fire Deparmtent (NSFD) annually observes Fire Prevention Month the entire month of October. The NSFD visits 19 elementary schools in the North Shore Communities delivering progressive, age appropriate fire and life safety programs to grades K4 thru 4th grade, reaching approximately 5,300 grade school children.

 

This year’s campaign focuses on ways to keep homes fire safe and prevent painful burns. Additionally, fire safety educators will be teaching local residents how to plan and practice escape from a home in case a fire occurs.

 

The statistics are staggering. Each year roughly 3,000 people dies as a result of home fires and burns, and more than 200,000 individuals are seen in the nation’s emergency rooms for burn injuries.

 

“The most common types of burn injuries result from fire or flame burns, scalds and contact burns,” said Jill Glanz, Public Education Specialist. “Burns are painful and can result in serious scarring and even death. When we take extra caution in our homes to ensure that the curling iron is out of children’s reach or pot handles are turned away from the edge of the stove, such injuries are entirely preventable. Keeping our homes safe from fire and preventing devastating burn injuries is a healthy change we can make happen.”

 

By following simple safety rules, you can “Stay Fire Smart! Don’t Get Burned.”

·Keep hot foods and liquids away from tables and counter edges so they cannot be pulled or knocked over.

·Have a 3-foot “kid-free” zone around the stove.

·Never hold a child in your arms while preparing hot food or drinking a hot beverage.

·Be careful when using things that get hot such as curling irons, oven, irons, lamps, heaters.

·Install tamper-resistant receptacles to prevent a child from sticking an object in the outlet.

·Never leave a child alone in a room with a lit candle, portable heater, lit fireplace or stove, or where a hot appliance might be in use.

·Wear short or close-fitting sleeves when cooking.

·Set your hot water temperature no higher than 120 degrees.

·Install anti-scald valves on shower heads and faucets.

 

Fire Prevention Month is actively supported by fire departments across the country. For 85 years fire departments have observed Fire Prevention Month, making it the longest running public health and safety observance on record.

 

 

For more information on “Stay Fire Smart! Don’t Get Burned.”

visit www.firepreventionweek.org

www.nsfire.org NSFD Public Education Specialist Jill Glanz 414-228-0292 jglanz@nsfire.org

 

 

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Suburban News Roundup

E-mail Newsletter

Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.


Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter
Get the Newsletter!

Login or Register to manage all your newsletter preferences.

Community Watch

» Two suspects charged in Brown Deer carjacking 10:00 AM

» Two men charged with robbing Topper's Pizza in Fox Point at gunpoint 5/26

» Pedestrian struck by car in Whitefish Bay 5/26

» Goodwill opens new store in Brown Deer 5/22

» Germantown softball team edges Homestead, 1-0, for NSC crown 5/21

» Update: 13-year-old Glendale girl found 5/20

» Tips from public lead Mequon police to gas station robbery suspect 5/20

» Sex offender housed in River Hills moving to Milwaukee facility 5/18

» MMSD to push for removal of Estabrook Park dam 5/18

» Fire at Shorewood apartment building likely caused by unattended candle 5/14

» Let us know about your Memorial Day event 5/13

» Mequon considers bait and kill approach to coyote problem 5/13

» Glendale committee will investigate residential codes 5/13

» Initial Reaction Podcast: Massive overhaul of area conferences could be afoot 5/13

» Run the Bay this weekend 5/13

» Glendale police host prescription drug take back event 5/13

» Brown Deer School Board weighing sale of former Algonquin School property 5/13

» Winter's not through with us yet 5/12

» Glendale council urges County Executive Abele to take action on Estabrook Dam 5/11

» Mequon entrepreneur Anna Zuckerman expands children's clothing empire 5/11

» Shorewood rehab facility to reopen with new approach 5/5

» Dominican High School breaks ground on $4.5 million renovation 5/5

» Chocolate Factory has closed at Bayshore 5/5

» MMSD, Milwaukee council pressed to weigh in on Estabrook dam removal 5/4

» Aldi may come to Brown Deer 5/1

View All Posts Got a tip? Welcome rss

Advertisement

Advertisement

Local Business Directory

CONNECT    

Most Popular