The North Shore Fire Department does not endorse the use of consumer fireworks and instead encourages the public to enjoy displays of fireworks conducted by trained professionals.
Fireworks and sparklers are designed to explode or throw off showers of hot sparks. Temperatures may exceed 1200 degrees F.
According to the United States Fire Administration 2005 report, firecrackers were responsible for the greatest number of injuries (1,600) in 2003, followed by bottle rockets (1,000) and sparklers (7,000.)
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that 92% of the fireworks injuries treated in hospital emergency rooms involved fire works that Federal regulations permit consumers to use.
Fireworks injuries include burns, contusions, lacerations, disfigurement and even death.
The risk of fire death relative to time used shows fireworks as the riskiest consumer product. NFPA 2009
In addition to injuries caused by fireworks, on Independence Day in a typical year, more U.S. fires are reported than on any other day, and fireworks account for half of those fires, more than any other cause of fires. NFPA
Children need to be taught that fireworks (sparklers, smoke bombs, fire crackers, bottle rockets, etc.), like matches and lighters, are dangerous and should not be handled.
For more information on fireworks safety:
· Visit our website at www.nsfire.org
· Visit NFPA’s website at www.nfpa.org/fireworks
· Contact our Public Education Office at 414-228-0292 or email@example.com.
Once again, please have a safe and happy Fourth of July by leaving the fireworks to the licensed, trained professionals!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- After School Storytimes at the North Shore Library
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Winter/Spring Registration Info
- Bartelt Hosts Hunger Task Force Food Drive
- Br(OK)en Genius is Healing Communities Through Art
- Bonaparte to Receive Excellence in Community Service Award from Milwaukee Affiliate Black Child Development Institute
- Rick Bartelt Elected to MBA Board of Directors
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- It’s Forward to the Past as Jesus comes to 2020 America
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Gary Dunco, Saukville Resident, Earns Chartered Financial Analyst Designation