News Release - Supervisor Rice Calls For Direct Election of Milwaukee Area Technical College Board of Directors
SUPERVISOR RICE CALLS FOR DIRECT ELECTION OF MILWAUKEE AREA TECHNICAL COLLEGE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Current System a Clear Case of Taxation Without Representation
March 17, 2009...Milwaukee, WI – Milwaukee County Supervisor Joseph Rice today announced that he has introduced a resolution urging the State of Wisconsin to amend the State Statutes to require members of the Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) Board of Directors be elected directly by voters who reside in the territory of the MATC district.
“The current system lacks accountability to Milwaukee County property taxpayers since they do not have the opportunity to directly elect those who have the ability to tax them,” Rice said. “Our country was founded on the principle of ‘no taxation without representation’ and those who possess the power to tax must be responsive to those who pay the taxes,” Rice added.
Currently, MATC Board of Directors are appointed by an Appointment Committee, consisting of 21 school board members representing school districts that make up the MATC district. Rice’s proposal would replace that system with an election process similar to the election of other local government officials.
“As elected officials and servants of the public, we have an obligation to ensure that taxpayers’ interests are represented in the institutions they work hard to support. I hope that my colleagues will join me in supporting this resolution and sending a strong message to state legislators,” Rice concluded.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Suggests Solutions for Your Pets in the Kitchen
- Register for Camp at the Hills Today!
- International Institute of Wisconsin to Host Annual World Citizen Celebration Dinner
- Industry Expert: Prevent Fires. Clean Dryer Vents.
- Brown Deer Library Closed Today
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Volunteer Center of Greater Milwaukee recognizes area residents and businesses at 33rd Annual Volunteer Celebration
- Accept the Challenge: Become Accredited in Public Relations
- Harold E Hansen: Paintings and Stone Lithographs. April 15 – May 31, 2015
- Community Volunteer Opportunities