Residents to Vote on Additional Operating Funds & Capital Improvements
On Monday evening, February 2, the Maple Dale-Indian Hill School Board unanimously approved resolutions to present district residents with two separate referenda questions to address our pressing operation and facilities needs. Like many other school districts across the state, Maple Dale–Indian Hill is facing serious financial challenges, many of which result from a built-in structural deficit caused by revenue caps and state funding requirements. After several years of budget cuts totaling $2 million, and staff reductions of 35%, the School Board feels strongly that we must act now to protect and maintain our educational programs and services, and address immediate facilities needs. We must also secure ongoing financial stability in order to provide for current and future students.
After gathering feedback from the community in recent months through mailings, an online survey, and a special community forum, the School Board has finalized their referendum proposal. Residents will have the opportunity to vote on the following two questions on Tuesday, April 7, 2009:
➢ Question #1 requests approval to exceed our state revenue limit by $800,000 per year for 10 school years (non-recurring) for operating expenses. This translates to an estimated average tax impact of $0.68 per thousand of property value (or $68 per $100,000).
➢ Question # 2 requests approval to borrow up to $4,000,000 to address capital facilities issues at Maple Dale and Indian Hill Schools. This translates to an estimated average tax impact of $0.26 per thousand of property value (or $26 per $100,000) for 20 years.
The School Board believes the timing is right now because our existing capital debt, which was the result of the last referendum approved by voters 20 years ago, will retire next year. This means the impact of the new referenda, if approved, would be reduced by approximately $0.31 per thousand of property value.
Residents can find more information on the referendum by:
• Visiting our district website (www.mapledale.k12.wi.us)
• Scheduling a small group information meeting for your neighborhood, community group or organization by calling the district office at 414-351-7380• Emailing us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Calling us at 414-351-7380, ext. 2073 and leaving a detailed voicemail
For more information, please contact Superintendent Mary Dean at 414-351-7380.
- BloodCenter CEO announces retirement
- Small Appliances Make a Big Impact at Appliance Gallery
- June 10 reception Reveals New Exhibitions at Cedarburg Art Museum
- Director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes of Health to receive honorary degree, speak at commencement May 20; four community leaders to receive honorary degrees
- Concordia Student Makes 6,500 Mile Journey To Commencement
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- 8th Annual Nicolet High School All-Sports Booster Club Golf Outing
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Milwaukee Remodeler SJJanis Featuring Fox Point Addition on the NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes