Residents to Vote on Additional Operating Funds & Capital Improvements
On Monday evening, February 2, the Maple Dale-Indian Hill School Board unanimously approved resolutions to present district residents with two separate referenda questions to address our pressing operation and facilities needs. Like many other school districts across the state, Maple Dale–Indian Hill is facing serious financial challenges, many of which result from a built-in structural deficit caused by revenue caps and state funding requirements. After several years of budget cuts totaling $2 million, and staff reductions of 35%, the School Board feels strongly that we must act now to protect and maintain our educational programs and services, and address immediate facilities needs. We must also secure ongoing financial stability in order to provide for current and future students.
After gathering feedback from the community in recent months through mailings, an online survey, and a special community forum, the School Board has finalized their referendum proposal. Residents will have the opportunity to vote on the following two questions on Tuesday, April 7, 2009:
➢ Question #1 requests approval to exceed our state revenue limit by $800,000 per year for 10 school years (non-recurring) for operating expenses. This translates to an estimated average tax impact of $0.68 per thousand of property value (or $68 per $100,000).
➢ Question # 2 requests approval to borrow up to $4,000,000 to address capital facilities issues at Maple Dale and Indian Hill Schools. This translates to an estimated average tax impact of $0.26 per thousand of property value (or $26 per $100,000) for 20 years.
The School Board believes the timing is right now because our existing capital debt, which was the result of the last referendum approved by voters 20 years ago, will retire next year. This means the impact of the new referenda, if approved, would be reduced by approximately $0.31 per thousand of property value.
Residents can find more information on the referendum by:
• Visiting our district website (www.mapledale.k12.wi.us)
• Scheduling a small group information meeting for your neighborhood, community group or organization by calling the district office at 414-351-7380• Emailing us directly at email@example.com
• Calling us at 414-351-7380, ext. 2073 and leaving a detailed voicemail
For more information, please contact Superintendent Mary Dean at 414-351-7380.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Glendale Mayoral Forum held on March 24
- Recycle Your Clothes for Earth Day!
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Latest Developments in Alzheimer's Research
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. - Summer Registration Info
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive
- Expert Plumbers Advise Homeowners to Monitor Sump Pump during Weather Warm Up
- Do You Want To Feed Your Pet As Naturally As Possible?
- Greater Milwaukee College Workshop
- Free Alzheimer’s Workshop Benefits Local Family Caregivers