During halftime of the girls High School basketball game on Friday night the Germantown Key Club took on the Milwaukee Heat in a wheelchair exhibition game. The event was held to promote and raise money for Independence First, the organization which helps disabled children enjoy competitive sports activities.
Although the score was lopsided, with the Heat winning 5-1, spectators at the halftime event enjoyed watching Key Club members trying to maneauver in wheelchairs while the Heat players often whizzed by them to the basket. The skill of the Milwaukee Heat players was impressive. While the Key Club members may have looked clumsy in comparison it underscored the value of the Independence First program for disabled youth. The Milwaukee Heat was ranked 11th in the U.S. in 2013.
Each Key Club member raised money for the privilege of playing in a wheelchair for this exhibition. They also worked the refreshment stand during the GHS girls basketball game on Friday with all the proceeds going to Indpendence First.
The Key Club at Germantown High School is challenged each year to use their leadership skills to benefit their community. This year the Key Club members chose to help raise money for Independence First, a program of the Milwaukee Public Schools Recreation Department. According to Cassie Hanson, GHS club adviser, the Key Club is sponsored by and receives its charter from the Germantown Kiwanis Club.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Print all In new window NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING ART SHOWCASE
- Glendale Mayoral Forum held on March 24
- Recycle Your Clothes for Earth Day!
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Latest Developments in Alzheimer's Research
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. - Summer Registration Info
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive
- Expert Plumbers Advise Homeowners to Monitor Sump Pump during Weather Warm Up
- Do You Want To Feed Your Pet As Naturally As Possible?