2nd Annual Marrow Donor Registration Drive and Fundraiser
BloodCenter of Wisconsin will coordinate a marrow donor registration drive and fundraiser with the Grafton High School Icehawks and Northshore Hockey Tournament on Saturday, January 11, 2014, from noon to 5 p.m. The registration drive will be held at the Ozaukee Ice Center, 5505 Pioneer Road, Mequon.
Every year, more than 35,000 children and adults in the United States are diagnosed with life-threatening diseases, such as leukemia or lymphoma. For many of them, receiving healthy marrow and/or blood stem cell transplants is their only chance for survival.
People of all ethnic groups are encouraged to join the national marrow donor registry, Be The Match. Donors of all ethnic groups are critical because patients have the best chance of finding a match within their own race. The process, including paperwork, takes approximately 15 minutes.
Joining the registry is simple. Basic requirements for registering to be a potential donor include being between the ages of 18 and 44, in general good health and willing to be available if identified as a match for a patient in need. Once a health history form is completed, a mouth swab test is given. The swabs are tested to determine tissue type and individuals are only contacted if identified as a match.
BloodCenter of Wisconsin is Wisconsin’s local connection to the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP), which helps connect volunteer donors around the country with patients who need transplants. For more information regarding marrow registration eligibility and how to join the registry, please contact BloodCenter of Wisconsin’s Marrow Donor Program at (866) 702-HOPE (4673) or visit www.bcw.edu/marrow.
About BloodCenter of Wisconsin
BloodCenter of Wisconsin is a not-for-profit organization that specializes in blood services, organ and tissue recovery, marrow donation and education, diagnostic testing, medical services and leading-edge research. BloodCenter of Wisconsin is the only provider of blood to hospitals in 29 Wisconsin counties. BloodCenter of Wisconsin advances patient care by delivering life-saving solutions grounded in unparalleled medical and scientific expertise. For more information, visit www.bcw.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Join us for the Nicolet Golf Outing on July 11th
- Milwaukee Based Novel Shows Readers Fragile Side of Superhuman Strength
- Flat Rate Home Services Joins the MECA Foundation to Protect Police Canine Officers
- Zevi Gives Back Blood Drive Looks to Expand Succes with 3rd Annual Blood Drive
- Mequon Resident Wins Big at Milwaukee BMA Awards
- Meta House announces new drug & alcohol treatment program in Shorewood
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- HGTV to Feature Flat Rate Home Services Manager on National Television Show