A. Fillinger Inc., a fourth generation family business, ACE Hardware store, and custom cabinetry and millwork company, offers simple tips for homeowners who want to reduce energy consumption and save money this summer.
1) Homeowners can replace their light bulbs with compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs that use a fourth of the energy and last up to 10 times longer. A. Fillinger offers the complete line of GE Energy Smart CFL bulbs, which can save as much as $59 during the life of the bulb.
2) There are several ways for homeowners to conserve water. They can start by sealing up faucet leaks, installing an aerator like the 1.5 gallon per minute ACE brand aerator, and installing a shower head with a flow restrictor for more control over the amount of water used.
3) Homeowners can stop their water heater from working unnecessarily hard by reducing the temperature to 120 degrees. They may consider upgrading to an energy efficient model with an R-value under R-25, such as the Reliance 606 series.
4) Installing a programmable thermostat that adjusts the temperature throughout the day and night will prevent paying to cool an empty house.
5) Homeowners can reduce the energy used by air conditioners by installing insulated window treatments to block the sun, and by cleaning and replacing dirty filters that block airflow.
More ideas for homeowners include the standard turning off the lights when leaving the room, unplugging electronics and appliances when not in use, addressing energy loss around windows and doors, and always looking for the Energy Star label when shopping.
Established in southeastern Wisconsin in 1938, A. Fillinger Inc. was one of the early ACE Hardware affiliates and has more than 20,000 products on-hand. The millwork division specializes in custom cabinetry and mouldings. A. Fillinger is located at 6750 N. 43rd St. in Milwaukee.
The complete guide to cutting energy expenditures, provided by ACE Hardware, is available at www.acehardware.com. A. Fillinger can be reached at 414-353-8433 and online at www.afillinger.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Appliance Gallery Offers Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Dishwasher
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Local Soccer Players Awarded Honor
- Homeopathic Doctor to Open Elements Massage in Mequon
- On Course for a Cure: Golfers tee off for digestive disease research
- Get Your Kitchen Back to School Ready With Tips From Wisconsin Kitchen Mart
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. - Registration For Flag Football Now Available
- Scathain Opening Online Store
- North Shore Knights Sport Club
- Clinical Study of the effect of dietary salt on the genetic code modifications and blood pressure at the Medical College of Wisconsin