Despite a strong third quarter that culminated in a 12-0 run, the Nicolet boys basketball team was unable to get past Milwaukee King Thursday night.
The Knights' season ended in a 52-46 WIAA sectional at the McGuire Center on the Marquette University campus.
Nicolet had fallen prey to the Generals' trapping, pressing defense and trailed 38-21 with 3:09 remaining in the third. But from that point forward, the Knights took control of the Al forcing several turnovers out of King and going on a 13-0 run that was only ended when the horn sounded with Nicolet having closed the gap to 38-34.
But the team couldn't continue that momentum in the four quarter.
King (17-6) advanced to a sectional final for the right to go to the state tournament back at the McGuire Center on Saturday while the Knights ended their season at 17-8.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay boys soccer team holds on to beat Nicolet, 2-1
- SPORTS SHORTS: Sept. 18
- Boys tennis: Catholic Memorial duo cruises to Division 2 state doubles title
- SPORTS SHORTS: JUNE 5
- OUR TAKE
- Homestead softball team rallies to beat Whitefish Bay, 15-5, in regional final
- Whitefish Bay girls soccer team beats Homestead to earn first North Shore title since 2007
- Track and field: Class and excellence highlights of Hamilton track sectional
- Germantown softball team's big bats earn it regional title over Nicolet
- Whitefish Bay girls track team overcomes injuries and wins NSC outdoor title