Despite a strong third quarter that culminated in a 12-0 run, the Nicolet boys basketball team was unable to get past Milwaukee King Thursday night.
The Knights' season ended in a 52-46 WIAA sectional at the McGuire Center on the Marquette University campus.
Nicolet had fallen prey to the Generals' trapping, pressing defense and trailed 38-21 with 3:09 remaining in the third. But from that point forward, the Knights took control of the Al forcing several turnovers out of King and going on a 13-0 run that was only ended when the horn sounded with Nicolet having closed the gap to 38-34.
But the team couldn't continue that momentum in the four quarter.
King (17-6) advanced to a sectional final for the right to go to the state tournament back at the McGuire Center on Saturday while the Knights ended their season at 17-8.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports wrapups: March 4
- Sports wrapups: Feb. 25
- Nicolet wrestler Kalloch not to be denied, earns state berth
- Sports wrapups: Feb. 18
- Nicolet sending seven entries to state boys swim meet
- Signing day a success big and small all over the North Shore
- Sports wrapups: Feb. 11
- Homestead wrestlers show character in claiming four NSC titles
- Bay boys continue to roll, overpower young Nicolet squad
- Bay boys hoops team gets defensive in overpowering Nicolet, 62-26