Despite a strong third quarter that culminated in a 12-0 run, the Nicolet boys basketball team was unable to get past Milwaukee King Thursday night.
The Knights' season ended in a 52-46 WIAA sectional at the McGuire Center on the Marquette University campus.
Nicolet had fallen prey to the Generals' trapping, pressing defense and trailed 38-21 with 3:09 remaining in the third. But from that point forward, the Knights took control of the Al forcing several turnovers out of King and going on a 13-0 run that was only ended when the horn sounded with Nicolet having closed the gap to 38-34.
But the team couldn't continue that momentum in the four quarter.
King (17-6) advanced to a sectional final for the right to go to the state tournament back at the McGuire Center on Saturday while the Knights ended their season at 17-8.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Successful hoops programs dominate this writer's winters
- Whitefish Bay girls win 10 events to repeat as North Shore track champs
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Shorewood boys track scores first league title in 14 years
- Whitefish Bay and Homestead tie for North Shore Conference boys track and field indoor title
- Bay girls win 10 events to repeat as North Shore indoor track champs
- Bay and Homestead tie for North Shore boys track title
- Sports Shorts: April 3
- Nicolet boys show true character in tough season
- Sports wrapups: March 4