After reviewing and deliberating the issue for three consecutive meetings, the Whitefish Bay Village Board on Monday voted, 5-1, to authorize a memorial at Buckley Park, 4998 N. Lake Drive.
Last month, the family of Geoffrey Farnsworth, a Whitefish Bay Middle School teacher and coach, requested approval to construct a so-called council ring at the park, 4998 N. Lake Drive. It will be comprised of a circular stone seating wall that is 18 inches high and 18 inches wide.
The issue drew scrutiny from some residents, with a mix of proponents and opponents stating their opinions to the board. Proponents stated the council ring would be a valued addition and could increase the viability of Buckley Park. Opponents, including some residents living near the park, stated concerns about a loss of green space.
Farnsworth died in July at age 40 of cancer. He and his family - wife, Kelley, and children Addison, Gavin and Grady - have been Whitefish Bay residents for a dozen years.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- River Hills woman killed in driveway accident
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 4, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 27, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 20, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 13, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 6, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 30, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 23, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014