After discussing the issue for two hours, the Fox Point Village Board on Tuesday voted to move forward in the long-running debate surrounding the footbridge connecting Bridge and Barnett lanes. The existing footbridge will be removed and will likely be replaced with a similar structure.
Civil engineering firm Ayers Associates will provide design services for the project, which did not have a firm timeline amid Tuesday's discussion.
The board also went on record, stating that a portion of the cost of replacing the footbridge should be covered through fundraising. There had been discussion of seeking $625,000 in donations, though the amount could be a moving target as the endeavor gets under way.
Throughout the footbridge debate, cost estimates associated with removing the existing structure and constructing a new one have hovered around $1.5 million to $1.9 million. Specific figures will bubble to the surface as Ayers conducts its design work.
In recent months, several residents have suggested the footbridge issue be placed on an upcoming ballot by way of a referendum question, but that proposal was scrapped as part of the board's decision.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- University School was on "soft lockdown" after police shooting in Milwaukee
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- University School of Milwaukee students aim to provide 60 mattresses to homeless shelter
- North Shore Police Reports: June 4, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015
- Winter's not through with us yet