Residents of the Whitefish Bay School District are looking at a district levy increase of up to 3.37 percent for the coming 2012-13 school year.
Over 100 Whitefish Bay residents turned out and voted at the district's annual meeting Wednesday night to approve a levy of $21.8 million, which fits into a draft 2012-13 budget of $39.4 million - down about 6.7 percent from a 2011-12 budget of approximately $42.2 million.
The 3.37 percent levy increase is based on a conservative district estimate of state aid which assumes a decrease of nearly $270,000. Director of Business Services Sean Yde told attendants of the annual meeting that if earlier Department of Public Instruction estimates of state aid hold, which project an increase of approximately $200,000, the levy increase will be more in the ballpark of 1.1 percent.
According to his calculations, the conservative estimate would lead to an increase of $142 in property taxes for a home valued at $400,000. The DPI estimate would result in an increase of $46 for that same $400,000 home.
He expects that when the district receives final state aid numbers from the state on Oct. 15, the final certified levy will fall somewhere in the middle, though nearer to the DPI estimate.
"(The levy) will absolutely change when I get the (state) certified aid," said Yde. "I would expect that it's going to be much closer to the forty-six dollars than the one hundred forty-two."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 19, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 12, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 5, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 29, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 22, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 15, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 8, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 1, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 25, 2014