Nicolet School District Administrator Rick Monroe estimates 80 percent of Nicolet High School was damaged by flooding during last night's storm. A line at about the three-foot level marked the high water mark on outside doors.
"When I got here last night, rain was just pouring down Jean Nicolet Road," Monroe said. The rain pooled in the horseshoe area outside the east entrance to the high school, spurting between and under the outside doors, he said.
Cleaning crews swept water from floors in most of the building this morning as a big mop up begins.
Half an inch to more than 6 inches of water was evident in the school corridors and in the theater. Lower levels of the building, such as the areas under the stage and the boys' locker room, had more water in them and could not yet be accessed. Monroe said there was as much as six feet of water in the lower level when the flooding was at its worst.
The flood waters did not touch either the D or F wing libraries, both under construction. They remained dry and contractors, with the help of a portable generator, were continuing to work on their renovation.
Most of the building except the D wing and second floor of the F wing has water damage.
Monroe said the restoration contractors and cleaning crews want to get the water off the floors so they do not buckle.
"It will take three to five days to dry the building," he said. After that, the district and its insurers will be able to do a full assessment of damage.
Monroe was principal when a fire destroyed 25 percent of Shorewood High School.
"I always thought the fire at Shorewood High School would be the worst devastation I would ever see in a school," Monroe said. "This is worse."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- University School was on "soft lockdown" after police shooting in Milwaukee
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- University School of Milwaukee students aim to provide 60 mattresses to homeless shelter
- North Shore Police Reports: June 4, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015
- Winter's not through with us yet