NOW:53209:USA01012
http://widgets.journalinteractive.com/cache/JIResponseCacher.ashx?duration=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.wp.myweather.net%2FeWxII%2F%3Fdata%3D*USA01012
36°
H 36° L 32°
Cloudy | 9MPH

Ninja suspect to stand trial in August for alleged assault

July 15, 2010

River Hills — What happened in April in the woods behind Nicolet High School that led to the assault of a 14-year-old Bayside boy may finally come to light in a trial set for Aug. 6 in Milwaukee County Children's Court.

A 16-year-old River Hills boy, who allegedly dressed like a ninja and struck the victim over the right eye with a machete, has entered a not guilty plea to the charge.

The Bayside boy, along with three friends, entered the woods after school on April 27. The boys were looking for a person dressed like a ninja after hearing that two high school girls had been confronted by a boy the previous day. The Bayside boy, who was separated briefly from his companions, was assaulted by the River Hills boy, police say.

Because the case is in juvenile court, police reports and witness statements have not been made public, and what little is known about the has come out in pretrial hearings, mainly from statements made by the father of the suspect. The father said his son had a job clearing brush on a neighbor's property and was working there when the incident took place.

River Hills police recovered a machete, a bow and sword from the suspect's home at the time of his arrest.

River Hills residents who own property abutting the Nicolet woods have complained in the past about high school students trespassing on their property.

Although the district attorney's office and suspect's attorney are working on negotiations to settle the case without a trial, Judge Fredrick Rosa on Thursday moved ahead with plans for the trial. At a pretrial hearing in Children's Court, Rosa said both the defense and the prosecution plan to call eight witnesses.

Rosa said two additional court dates would be necessary because of the length of time he believes a trial will take. The case will begin at 9 a.m. Aug. 6, continue to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 11, and to 8:30 a.m. Sept. 7 if necessary.

Both the schedules of the two attorneys and of the Children's Court had to be considered in the scheduling of the trial.

Rosa also ruled that the suspect will continue to be monitored by an agent of the juvenile court system. He was allowed to return home in June, but is only allowed to leave his home with his parents.

He is subject to monitoring checks and must notify his agent of his movements in the community.

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Suburban News Roundup

E-mail Newsletter

Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.


Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter
Get the Newsletter!

Login or Register to manage all your newsletter preferences.

Advertisement

Local Crime Map

CONNECT    

Advertisement

Latest Photo Galleries