Outcome of union negotiations could swing budget either way
Officials working out what to cut, reduce
Glendale — The proposed 2010-11 Nicolet School District budget is a work in progress, Business Manager Jeff Dellutri told the School Board on Monday.
Officials are more than halfway to their target operating budget of about $5.7 million. Department requests had come in about $244,000 more than the target budget. Dellutri and the district's finance committee have been whittling away at the budget requests and were $98,000 away from their goal as of Monday afternoon.
The target budget is about $57,000 less than this year's budget.
However, the district is in contract negotiations with its four unions. Dellutri said that if the most recent board offer to the unions were applied to the budget, the district could fund all operations and have $257,986 available to recall some of the 11 staff members who received preliminary layoff notices in April.
The school district's offer includes a change in health insurance carrier or maintaining the current health carrier with a reduction in benefits to realize comparable savings.
If the last offer from the teachers unions were applied to the budget, an additional $246,296 would need to be cut from the budget. The unions' offer does not include changes in employee benefits.
Of the district's budget, 25 percent is fixed costs and the remaining 75 percent salary and benefits.
Dellutri said he will have a completed budget proposal for the board to vote on at its June 21 meeting.
- Mary Buckley
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Election update
- News & Notes: Dec. 11
- Former marine and Iranian hostage shares story of 1979 embassy takeover with Nicolet students
- Withdrawal still an option as Glendale awaits formula votes
- Police Report: Dec. 9
- Election update: Dec. 3
- Glendale-River Hills officials start work on fall 2014 referendum
- Police Report: Dec. 2
- NSFD board passes funding formula
- News & Notes: Nov. 27