A Glendale physician was killed Saturday when he was struck by a car while walking his dog in River Hills.
The driver of the car also died in the incident, which occurred just after 10:30 a.m. in the 700 block of Green Tree Road.
The Milwaukee County medical examiner's office identified the pedestrian as Michael J. Richter, 47, and the driver as Robert Litzow, 72, of River Hills.
Richter's golden retriever also was killed.
"This is a horrific accident," River Hills Police Chief Tom Rischmann said.
According to police, the motorist was westbound in a BMW four-door sedan when the vehicle crossed into the eastbound lane and struck Richter at the intersection of Green Tree and N. Elm Tree roads.
Police said Richter landed on top of the car, which then careened off the road and into a tree, traveling 330 feet.
Investigators do not know what caused Litzow to lose control of his vehicle.
Autopsies are planned Monday.
Aurora Health Care said Richter was a family practice physician in Aurora's clinic at 1575 N. River Center Drive in Milwaukee.
"He was a great physician and a great guy," clinic administrator Jon Kluge said.
Richter had been with the clinic for two years and was very popular with adult and adolescent patients, Kluge said.
According to Aurora's Web site, Richter was married and had two daughters.
Kluge said Richter was an assistant basketball coach for the boys team at King High School in Milwaukee and medical director of the student health program at the Milwaukee School of Engineering.
During the high school basketball season, Aurora adjusted Richter's work schedule to accommodate his obligations as an assistant coach.
"He was very passionate about basketball," Kluge said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 9, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 2, 2012
- North Shore Police Reports: September 25, 2014
- River Hills adopts sex offender zoning restrictions
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 4, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing