Incumbent Mary Cyrier and newcomer Kathryn Houpt were elected to the Mequon-Thiensville School Board Tuesday, defeating challenger Alex Leykin.
Houpt was the top vote-getter with 4,619 votes - 37 percent. Cyrier, who has served on the board since 2006, garnered 34 percent of the vote, or 4,327 votes. There were 3,664 votes cast for Leykin, who brought in 29 percent of the voter.
Board members serve three-year terms and are not paid.
The vote total, according to unofficial results Tuesday:
Kathryn Houpt 4,619
Mary Cyrier (i) 4,327
Alex Leykin 3,664
Election results remain unofficial until they are certified by the board of canvassers.
Houpt, who has been a regular attendee of School Board meetings, said communicating with residents and running a positive campaign is what made the difference in the race.
Her priority now that she is elected is to learn the ins and outs of the School Board.
"I will be looking at things with a different perspective at the table, but my priority is to get in and learn and work together and tackle the issues," she said. "Thanks for getting out there and voting and being part of the process."
Cyrier was unavailable for comment Tuesday night.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: March 26, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: March 19, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: March 12, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: March 5, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 19, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 12, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 5, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 29, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 22, 2015