Five middle schools in the North Shore have been singled out as Exemplary Middle School by the Association of Wisconsin School Administrators.
Bayside, Glen Hills, Lake Shore and Steffen middle schools and Shorewood Intermediate School were all notified of the recognition last month. They are among 78 schools in the state that were honored.
The criteria for the recognition includes at least one of the following, according to the association's website:
• rapid improvement in reading or math scores in the past school year;
• reading or math scores in the top 10 percent in past year; and
• rapid improvement in scores in reading or math with special designation for rapid improvement in schools comprised of a high poverty population (greater than 33 percent free and reduced lunch).
The award also recognizes the principals of those schools: Don Galster of Bayside Middle School; Haydee Smith of Glen Hills Middle School; Carolyn Wilson of Lake Shore Middle School; Deborah Anderson of Steffen Middle School; and Anthony Strancke of Shorewood Intermediate School.
The schools are eligible for the 2010-11 Wisconsin Middle School of Excellence Award, which will be announced in February.
- Mary Buckley
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 9, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 2, 2012
- North Shore Police Reports: September 25, 2014
- River Hills adopts sex offender zoning restrictions
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 4, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing