A standing-room only crowd of more than 100 people packed a meeting room at the Shorewood Library Thursday night and peppered officials with questions and complaints about the severe flooding that hit the community last month.
Some residents at the meeting, the first of four town hall sessions on the flooding in the village, held signs that read "Sewerwood" or branded biohazard symbols. Complaints also were heard over the lack of seating as residents lined the wall of the room.
Frustrated residents like Mary Jo Kukoda said the village didn't do enough during the floods that caused at least $1.5 million in damage and affected hundreds of homes.
"Shame on the village of Shorewood, shame on you," Kukoda said.
Other residents asked about potential health issues associated with sewer water in basements and wondered why the village didn't answer phone calls on the Monday following flooding.
Village officials gave a brief overview of the damage caused by rainfall on July 15 and July 22. Some gasped when they heard the amount of rainfall that fell in Shorewood in late July.
However, officials blamed faulty sewer pipes and contractor errors for basement backups, and proposed a reconfiguration of sewer pipes that would increase their capacity.
The meeting concentrated on the problems in southwest area of the village. Three more meetings are scheduled for the other areas of Shorewood.
Village Manager Chris Swartz said answers to some of the questions posed Thursday would be posted on the village website - villageofshorewood.org - as they become available.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 22, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 15, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 8, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 1, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 25, 2014
- River Hills' new chief has 31 years experience with the department
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 18, 2014
- River Hills woman killed in driveway accident
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 4, 2014